When the Madison County Historical Society was organized in 1928, its main objective was to collect, preserve, and display history and memorabilia to recount Madison County history.
In May 1966, to usher in the Centennial of Nebraska and the city of Madison in 1967, the Historical Society opened the County Museum above the old City Hall. In 1998, the City of Madison built the present modern facility to house the County Museum, City Library, and City Office.
In 2009 an addition was built to house the Christmas Village Collection as well as the Model Railroad sponsored by the Northeast Nebraska Railroad Association.
In December of 2009, a 25' + mural backdrop for the Christmas village was completed by local artist Kristy Stark Knapp.
In October of 2010, a 40' + mural was completed by Stark Knapp that depicts the travels of Lewis and Clark.
The former Carnegie Library building is now home to the Carnegie Learning Center where special events for students are held.
The Learning Center has an old-time school setting, an activity barn with animal puppets, a costume theater area, the Cat in the Hat reading area, and other rotating children's activities.